Author Topic: Space Hulk painting.  (Read 4419 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Space Hulk painting.
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »
So this is where I'm gonna post my progress with my space hulk set. I'm gonna be painting the models for the next little while and I'll show pics as I go. I'll even give a quick guide as to how I'm painting them.

For now, just some pics of what I got so far.

The first is just the goblet objective thing. Just base coated Balthazar gold atm. Gonna layer it with shinning gold, wash with sepia, then very lightly highlight it with blazing gold. The gems I haven't thought that far yet.

The next is just the stages of the first nid. Primed brown (just the primer I have right now), then painted the metal parts boltgun. Not gonna do anything crazy for the metal parts, just wash with null oil. Skulls are all bleached bone, then mud wash, the marine helm is just base coated red atm. Might wash with mud then maybe paint the eye lenses.

The nids skin is painted with metallic silver (because I choose to that's why :), then washed with purple. Gonna do some light purple skin highlights before I wash the skin a second time with blue. Trust me, it'll look good.

The talons are just black, then gonna highlight with grey. Pretty standard.

The armor is base coated blue atm, gonna wash with blue then highlight light blue afterwords.

Not sure about the teeth, tongue and eyes yet. After all the washes are done I might just do the eyes bright yellow and the teeth bleached bone. The tongue would just be washed red.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Space Hulk painting.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 02:52:08 AM »
Is that a metal model or is that paint?

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:59:45 AM »
Nah they're plastic. I just basecoated the skin parts with a metalic silver.

Which now that all the washes are on, doesnt look as great as I'd hope xD

Basically I use that method on daemons, and their skin. It makes for a great multi toned color look. But doesnt look too great next to the matte colors of the nids armor. Not too mention that the more bluish skin (more then I'd originally expected) blends too much with the deep blue of the armor. Too much blue all together. The pics cant exactly show ya, but from a distance its just too much blue. Not enough contrast in colors.

So. Unfortunately I have to repaint the skin. Which sucks in its own way, but now I know. It was a learning experience all in all. My metallic daemony flesh tone doesnt work too well with nids. Best to just stick with conventional color options.

I got a xereus purple which im gonna layer overtop of the skin, while trying not to touch its armor too much. Then highlight it with emperors children pink, and then wash it with purple wash. Hopefully that will make for a much nicer contrast in color. A nice rich purple to the deep dark blue. Or maybe try and wash the skin with a red wash, try to really lighten up the skin. I dont know, we'll see how it goes.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:35:28 AM »
LOOK AT THESE GEMS!!!!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:39:23 AM »
Apparently the pictures my camera takes are too intense to post too many all at once. The forum posts cant handle awesomeness of this magnitude :)

But I am seriously impressed at my ability to paint these gems. One of the rare moments when Ive looked at my own work and thought "how in the hell did I paint that?!?!"

100% credit goes to StrikingScorpion82 and his Youtube channel.
You can find his video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn77q749amw&index=4&list=PLpRfWTb1UMqYqfigMdTwmzarbAL_6yvR0

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
I just finished my first nid!

I really like how he looks now. Nice bright vibrant color contrast between his skin and armor. The joints weren't painted in the new pink (too much repair painting so screw it), just his head, hands and feet were repainted.

The first pic is what he looked like before, the second is him now.

The new skin color was painted in Ceramite white base coat, then highlighted in Emperors children, then washed with purple wash. The purple wash over just white makes a nice light purple. I get the skin tone and shading done in one step. And with the pink highlights it really brings out the details.

His claws are just black with the tips painted alittle white. I might do the next few guys with grey rather then white.

So yeah, now that I got the nid colors down, gonna work on the throne dead marine to hash out the Blood Angels colors.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 01:56:17 AM »
Finally getting some ground on my painting. Got the cat unit done, and now working on my dead marine on throne.

Also, apologies for how big these pictures are xD
I didn't realize how big the pics got once you clicked on them. Apparently the setting I have them on is REALLY big. Which explains why the computer has a seizure whenever it tries to upload more then two of them at a time. Because they are freaking enormous! Gonna play around with the settings alittle and see if I can downsize them alittle.

Lets see if this new picture size works.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:01:21 AM »
WOOOO!

New picture sizes work! Once again, sorry for the insanely huge pics xD

All pics uploaded from now on will be much much smaller.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
Finally finished the throne marine xD

For realz though I probably could've finished him weeks ago, but just never got around to finishing him. It's been an interesting month.

This models bling didn't take nearly as long as I first thought. Like maybe 20 min.

Hopefully I'll be getting some more models done up soon.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 04:14:19 AM »
Finally got back to painting my Space hulk set.

I've decided to try a 2 model every weekend method to keep me working.

This is what I was able to get done this weekend. Only got the main red colors done Friday, but then powered through the rest just this Sunday night.
I'm hoping that if I can at least stick to making sure 2 models are painted every weekend, that I could get the whole set fully painted and 100% done.

For now I just got two blood angels painted. Here is my Brother Valencio and Brother Deino models.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 04:10:56 AM »
Still working on Squad Lorenzo. Just gotta get the captain himself painted up.

But in the mean time, I posted a video of an easy trick for scroll work and purity seals.

Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBb4JtRMwZQ

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 07:57:21 AM »
Made alot of headway in Dec. Got all of Squad Lorenzo finished. Got my nid painting scheme hashed out.

I'll be posting an update video shortly, but for now have some pics of my completed Squad Lorenzo and friends!

For a more complete look at my space hulk work check out my Google+ photo folder here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112370739975906620682/albums/6066601756537856753

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »