Author Topic: Deathleaper  (Read 1038 times)

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
Deathleaper
« on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
I need some help.  I LOVE the Deathleaper.  I love the model, I love the fluff, I love the unpredicatbility of putting him on the board.  I know he is one of our scorned models, but I really like him.  For me, the worst part is that you can't assault on the turn you deepstrike.  I know he has shrouded, but it's just really hard to keep him alive with his cardboard armor.  For the points I keep leaving him on the shelf.  Anyone else have different luck?
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Deathleaper
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
Deathleaper like DOM is in all my lists, and I wouldn't leave home without him.

I don't use him to assault or anything like that- he pops in and out till turn five when he pops back in to contest an objective or deny something.

The key is using the rest of the army to open up a space on that objective or traget spot to contest.

He is the ultimate tactical expression of Tyranids- expending your entire army so DL can appear at the last moment and win the game.

Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »

I don't use him to assault or anything like that- he pops in and out till turn five when he pops back in to contest an objective or deny something.

The key is using the rest of the army to open up a space on that objective or traget spot to contest.

He is the ultimate tactical expression of Tyranids- expending your entire army so DL can appear at the last moment and win the game.

I'll have to try that.  I used to use him to wipe out Dev squads and small squads that camped on an objective.  Now his vulnerability to shooting has taken that role away.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Offline NidsAndMarines

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
Well if there's a small squad next to area terrain or better still ruins, Deathy can drop in, fire his rendy hooky things and take his 3+ or even 2+ cover saves from the return shooting. If he does get assaulted with WS9, I7, A4 and rending on 5s & 6s he's no complete dork in combat and could well see off a few scouts, Longfangs etc. Next turn he can simply ghost away and get ready for turn 5 objective seizure/contesting.  Would be great if he was nearer 100 pts and could assault the turn he arrives but hey ho, what can you do?

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
  • The Wonders of Warhammer 40k
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:40:30 AM »

Reducing an enemy characters Initiative is also great, helps with enemy psykers. Can work well with DoM as well, I once reduced Mephy to leadership seven and then sucked his brains out with Doomy :)