Author Topic: Vindicare Assassin  (Read 1953 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Vindicare Assassin
« on: November 08, 2015, 06:58:13 AM »
Haven't posted much work lately. But I'm very proud of this model so I thought I'd share it with all of you.

I'm gonna be playing a game this Sunday and my list called for the sniper Assassin. So I figured since this'll be his first fight ever he should hit the field in style. I painted this guy up today and he's ready for action!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Vindicare Assassin
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 07:05:13 AM »
Started playing around with pictures editor. Mostly just to try and make the image smaller.
Got some interesting choices I thought would be funny.

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
Looks great!

Can I offer one suggestion? I know this sounds anal, but if you put some of the flocking sand on the base before painting it, it will cover that edge where the model is glued onto the base. You can also use light weight spackle, which you can just put a dab with your finger and run it around the edge. It will smooth it out and give it natural looking texture.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
Cc is always appreciated.

Originally I had tried to use that cracked earth technical stuff. It just didn't Crack xD

Then I just washed over it. Might put some texture paint over it to fix it up. Give it a more natural look.

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »
I never tried the cracked earth stuff. I prefer the spackle method then put some texture sand in spot over that, then dry brush and add patches of flock. Now, I wouldn't do that on every model, but since that assassin has a modeled base already, it would add to it.

Here are two pictures of things I am working on. The one is my Harlequin Warlord, you can see I made a base and added the skull and shell casing bits. I added a mask too with a hole drilled through it to represent the mask that was on the skull. I build the base with a piece of regular styrofoam, then I glued the model to it with white glue because plastic glue will eat through the styrofoam. Then I spackled the base and added small and larger grains of sand/rocks/whatever its called. Then base coated.

The second model is one of my Death Jesters. Since he is an IC, I have him on a new 32?mm base, and you can see how I cut the styrofoam, and spackled it. You can see on this one how it helps hide the modeled base of the figure nicely.

Hope that helps spark some ideas for you!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:23:54 PM by Bearded Beheader »

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »
Just to show how this turns out, here is a Farseer that I am working on. I used the same technique I described above.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
How do you glue your models to other base materials like Styrofoam or corkboard?
Just because I've tried attaching models to things like that with mixed results. Model glue doesn't work and I'm not very trusting of super glue on flimsy material like Styrofoam or cork.

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
Yeah, you need to cover the styrofoam or cork board with some sort of compound that will make it hard. I found the spackle method from White Dwarf about 15 years ago when they used to write articles on how to make terrain. This is what they would cover the foam with before texture painting.

If you first sculpt the base, then coat it with spackle, you can glue the model to it. If it is an old metal model, or a finecast one, you can cut the slot for the old slottabase thing into the foam before coating it with spackle.

I use Gorilla Glue. Just make sure that the foam is completely covered or it can eat the foam. Also, you can build up the spackle around where the model is glue, and it will help secure it.

I never used cork board but imagine the same thing applies to it.