Author Topic: Angel's Blade, What does it mean for us?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Angel's Blade, What does it mean for us?
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:32:19 AM »
Brothers, Sons of Sanguinius! I'd like to talk about the spoilers seen from Faeit 212. I see a lot of people posting on there, and I won't say scared but, worried about the blood angels not having objective secured on their units in their blooded demi-company. I will admit I feel it will be like that of the exertminatus campaign supplement, But I can't say I really worry about having Ob-Sec on my units when I play Blood Angels. I don't really think it fits for the sons of Sanguinius. even with our Baal strike force detachment we gave up ob sec for a bonus +1I on the charge. added with a Sanguinary Priest this makes even a vanguard veteran squad very scary as they can mulch a tactical squad off a point. I don't usually try to use CAD's, that's my decision as a player, if I have the choice. Tournaments make people forget their army's feel, its nature. And I've had the hardest time trying to MAKE an army do what I wanted it to do. I instead let the army make itself. Tac squads in Rhinos or on foot. assault squads in drop pods or Las/Plas razorbacks, even Sanguinary guard have their place at my priest's side. did I care about Ob-Sec? not really, I KNEW my opposition wouldn't dare go for an objective with the might of the blood angels baring down on them. With that thought in mind I started winning games. I started getting to understand my army and choices and the game became more fun, challenging, and yet easier at the same time.

Lets talk about the blooded demi company. according to the Faeit's intel it's 3 tac, 1 dev, 1 assault, 1 captain (or chaplin), 1 dev, 1 dread, and one command squad (or furioso if chappy was chosen). so they get the red thirst, and if you run an aux formation, you get zealot on all the angel's blade so long as you don't take max squads. ok so we can get Grav devs in a drop pod, lay down some hurt and have some fun with a sumo style furioso, and have a heck of a deathstar with jump command squad with our captain leading the charge. ok nice....ish.

lets look at the other spoiled core choice, the archangles demi company, 1 termi-captain, 2 furioso dreads (I'm speculating these could be optional), 5 squads of any combination of termies, assault termies, sternguard vets, and vanguard vets. WOW! ok so special rules....stubborn, turn 1 reserves for the formation units, reroll failed reserves, 1d6 scatter, and reroll warlord trait. so I can see lots of uses for this. 3 squads of sternguard with either drop pods or razorbacks with las plaz could be amazing at 195 each (I'm a fan of special issue ammo) what about vanguard, 2 squads of those can cover the distance from deployment zone to target incredibly quickly and reliably if you take 2 or three with storm shields and T. Hammers. if you want to go with termies that's cool too but there are other formations for them. let's look at that now...

the Archangels orbital intervention force: 3 squads of any combo of termi's. that's it. you get to roll one reserve (reroll-able) for the entire formation, deep strike them where you please, then either disorganized charge, or double shoot (depending on their loadouts). ok so if we have to disorganized charge stuff the turn they hit the board lets multi-assault! tie up those pesky ranged units and the have zealot because you are running yer sternguard and vanguard as the core formation. When you add in shred from lightning claw termite's and you have some serious threats behind enemy lines.

I'm not sure what the future holds for the blood angels. From the rumors I'm very excited for us. what do you think? what are you looking for in the update? let's hear it. For Sanguinius!

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Angel's Blade, What does it mean for us?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:29:54 PM »
I have to say, the formations themselves that have been leaked look quite decent as far as bonuses are concerned. The zealot in the decurion is however from when the units have lost half the models you started with, and that is a pretty poor bonus in my view since you can't even get a benefit from it if that happens when in close combat.

But, and in my point of view it's a big but: What happened to BA being jump infantry focused? We're supposed to be the angelic sons of sanguinius, they keep pushing us further and further away from that. The orbital intervention force assault version also removes the benefit of our "chapter tactic" furious charge and the initiative bonus from the decurion. It feels more like a formation that'd suit dark angels or regular SM. When did BA become the terminator chapter? My dark angel friend is super jelly and I'm really indifferent to it. They're making us more and more into red marines, I feel.

The archangels demi company has more potential for me personally. But running that you can neither fit in our fluffy elites like death company and sanguinary guard in an 1850 list. And you have to take a terminator captain "tax", my least favorite HQ. The DC and Sanguinary formations look intriguing but the bonuses have yet to be released and both are rather pricy.

A bit of a rant, but to be fair from the start I mostly had high hopes for the updated dataslates and considered any good formation a bonus!
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:28:24 AM »
I have to say, the formations themselves that have been leaked look quite decent as far as bonuses are concerned. The zealot in the decurion is however from when the units have lost half the models you started with, and that is a pretty poor bonus in my view since you can't even get a benefit from it if that happens when in close combat.

we can be good Kvekan. in the archangels demi-company you do get to use ANY combination of sternguard, termis and vanguard. so you can have 5 squads of vanguard vets with jump packs. the redthirst, with superior weapon selection and Furious Charge they are uniquely qualified to take out most light and heavy infantry.

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:23:41 AM »
As long as we get the price drop for our vanguard weapons that SM have. Really hoping for that. Otherwise, it won't be much of an improvement as far as jump infantry is concerned.

Not liking the massive terminator hype in the book. Not a fan of Karlaen. But they need to sell their kits, I understand.

But I've played BA since 3rd edition and I personally never think we've had a more generic feel than now. And I'm certainly frustrated to see my collection better suited to play normal SM instead. The shadowstrike kill team should have been a BA formation and the orbital intervention force an SM one, that's my feeling.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 05:11:55 PM »
I'm mostly Hyped for the Death-Company Strike force thingy in combination with Lucifer Armoured strike force

i mean... deploy JumpPack Death company 6'' forward from your own deployment zone while still being able to charge 1st turn and have fast scouting Landraider and Baal Predators in front for shielding the DC or at least supporting them right away .... dayum, that will make us be in their faces pretty damn fast :O

Other than that, i like the stormraven missiles-before interceptor thingy!
And of course charging from DeepStrike with Guard/Terminators.... guess they just couldn't let us do it without removing our bonuses. but then again all the units that can do so have 2+ armor so they can take the beating at i4...
=Blood Angels=

Offline SteelRain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:03:11 AM »
I'm kinda excited about the scout formation, steath til you move and precsion shots first turn, so +2 saves for scouts and scout bikes  :).

Offline Remtek

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »
Don't think it stacks with camo cloaks, but in ruins you will get 2+ when going to ground.

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 06:34:59 PM »
So, now the Combi-Grav Scout Sergeants can even snipe SpecialWeapon carriers and are more survivable... nice :)
So new loadout for scouts? Bolters + Hvy Bolter + Combi-Grav?  :o weird ^^
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:40:58 PM by Sensenbob »
=Blood Angels=