Author Topic: Warhammer 40K 8th Edition Starter Set  (Read 6623 times)

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Warhammer 40K 8th Edition Starter Set
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
With 8th edition around the corner (soon), I'm wondering what the next 40K starter set will be.

I rather enjoy them as both a quick way to play 40K in a pre-packaged setup- kind of like a board game, without the board, and as a way to see the evolution of the hobby over time.

What do you guys think the next starter set will include?

What would you like it to include?

Safe bet it will be Space Marines on one side- as it should be, but what about the "bad guy" side?

I'm also interested to see what the next jump will be in terms of quality of models and where GW currently is with their mold tech- look at the awesome fits in AOS.

Will we see multiple starter sets?
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K 8th Edition Starter Set
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:27:23 PM »
Given the Fall of Cadia, Biel Tan, et all, it wouldn't surprise me if GW kept some sort of renegade/chaos faction as "the bad guys".  It would certainly let them keep the hooks from the more recent supplements to pull new players deeper into the hobby after their starter-set games.  In a "If you enjoyed this particular story, why not check out the next chapter in the X-saga". 

It's not outside the realms of possibility that they might do multiple, different starter sets narrated around different conflicts.  That would be pretty cool to see, actually.  It would also help new players start the hobby with an army they really want rather than the recommended poster boys of the particular edition and then GW can hook them with further narrative supplements.

One thing I would like to see from 8th edition is the lethality and the sheer scale of the game just generally toned down a bit.  Right now there's players dropping ridiculously huge points values on the table to use gargantuan and unwieldy formations in games that either last multiple days or a seldom actually finished.  GW had a system for that, it was called Epic.  I'd like to see formations remain a strong part of the game but I'd like to see army builds where you're encouraged to use a variety of different toys from the box rather than one or two units en masse.  As it stands the general crux of the game seems to be to max out on the most efficient units from your codex.  I get that only "competitive" players really do that to any significant degree, but I don't think it's good that the mechanics practically encourage it.  So what happens is units get blasted off the board whole-sale without even rolling a dice beyond a cover save in some cases.  That's kinda not fun, if you put a unit on the board, getting at least a turn out of it seems only fair.  So in that regard, I hope any new starter sets give you a wide variety of toys to play with.
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
With 8th edition around the corner (soon), I'm wondering what the next 40K starter set will be.

I rather enjoy them as both a quick way to play 40K in a pre-packaged setup- kind of like a board game, without the board, and as a way to see the evolution of the hobby over time.

What do you guys think the next starter set will include?

What would you like it to include?

Safe bet it will be Space Marines on one side- as it should be, but what about the "bad guy" side?

I'm also interested to see what the next jump will be in terms of quality of models and where GW currently is with their mold tech- look at the awesome fits in AOS.

Will we see multiple starter sets?

I have no doubt it will be Space Marines vs Daemons. GW has been pushing Daemons so hard on us lately, combined with the ever so popular Space marines.

I hope we see Orks vs Space Marines in at least a limited edition starter set or something. Assault on Black Reach and Stormclaw were the best.
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:26:06 AM »
I have no doubt it will be Space Marines vs Daemons. GW has been pushing Daemons so hard on us lately, combined with the ever so popular Space marines.

I hope we see Orks vs Space Marines in at least a limited edition starter set or something. Assault on Black Reach and Stormclaw were the best.

That said, with the flood of new Daemon stuff pouring out of GW, they might be hiding an ace up their sleeve and planning to release something entirely different with the new starter set.

That said, I'm beginning to doubt how close 8th edition actually is because it's been talked about and talked about and talked about for like, nearly 2 years now.  Of course as time marches on it does indeed come ever closer but I'm not getting on the hype train until something solid actually comes out.
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline Bollwear98

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
I would guess that 8ed isn`t that far away. Didn`t End Times in Fantasy started the hole reboot? Didn`t payed that much Attention in the past but.....  :-X    well it seems like we are getting 8 soon. Back to starter. I actually dont know. Maybe theres gonna be a new Faction with it. Just adding at this Point Sigmarines :D . But if i really had to guess it probably stays Chaos vs Loyalist because of this whole 13th crusade stuff

Offline bosquepro

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
I am super excited to see what GW has planned for us for 8th edition. I'm really hopeful that this will be one of the best and most fun editions of 40k for years. About the starter set, Spikey Bits had some rumors posted a while ago that it would contain Sisters of Battle. I ould love to see this happen. I think a decision like that would both bring back older players that left and bring a ton of new players into the game. Sisters are a fantastic army, they're just just practically unpurchasable at this point being in all metal and finecast. I'd totally start a Sisters army if they were revamped for 8th.

Offline MattyIce

• Battle Brother
  • 🖕🧀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »
This seems like a throw back set of rules in a sense. Let's see that classic blood angels vs orks
🖕🧀

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
Doesn't matter what's in it as long as the rule book can be bought on Ebay. I have zero interest right now in a starter box. Don't need more Orks. Don't want new Space Marines, which I'd speculate will be in the new box as there's a New Marines rumor. They're allegedly larger than current Marines. Probably the size of Stormcast Eternals. 
I'm just hoping for rules freshness and something to get me excited. New missions too.

Offline brianstockel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:14:38 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/

If the big picture from the community page for Warhammer is any indication, I'd say it's Space Marines (probably Ultramarines) and Chaos Space Marines (***fingers crossed*** Death Guard/Nurgle).

The most recent video I watched eluded to it. https://youtu.be/zJeeOyqP8Mg?t=10m40s

Hopefully this helps stir the pot a bit.

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »
Don't forget that GW have said that a new faction is added with the release of 8th. Maybe it's Dark Angels vs them? But after the new 40K banner and the recent trailer, I'm betting it will be Death Guard.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline brianstockel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 06:32:38 AM »
What gets me even more excited is the prospect that it might be the new space marine models. I'm digging the size and the look of them.

Offline BearOnATricycle

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
I hate to perform a bit of threadomancy here, but I do have a bit of relevant information on this. So I just started out as an independent retailer recently, and for my first order, was informed that Dark Vengeance is no longer a supported item for the retailer options. I wasn't given too much information, other than that 8th edition is releasing "VERY" soon, and that I believe GW are giving a guaranteed release date this weekend. Whether that's just them telling the employees the release date, or if the public gets the release date, I'm not sure. But it's gotta be real soon if DV is already off the table as a starting retail item.

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
Everything now points to it being Death Guard vs Ultramarines.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline dutch508

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
Warhammer TV released their unboxing review this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X87DY7Qupo