[Hide Attachments]
Snapshot_20140710_33.JPG 20140424_211620.jpg CAM01281.jpg IMG_1048.jpg DSC021812.jpg PICT0017.JPG

Warhammer 40,000 Armies > Discussion: 40K Rumors

Notes from the 40k 8th Edition Stream

(1/1)

SharkoutofWata:
Pulled this directly from Reddit and have done zero fact checking of my own because I'm more of a 'I hate everything until I see it in action myself' kind of person.  However, it is worth discussing and I'm curious what others think about what has been revealed.

--- Quote from: mcimolin on Reddit ---What we know so far:

Rules are written in Scottish
    New faction coming out with 8th, some with the release
    Getting rid of AV for vehicles
    Vehicles and MCs will get less potent as they take wounds (lower WS/BS, etc)
    "Everything will be able to hurt everyone." Specific example of a lasgun taking out a tank
    Heavy weapons will do more wounds than regular weapons (see SW:Armagedon for an idea)
    Stat lines no longer capped at 10
    Stat lines will have to work much harder now as there's more going on
    Unified statline for all models
    Movement values returning
    Armor modifiers returning for weapons
    Templates are removed, no note on how they change but likely going to multiwound weapons.
    If you charge you get to attack first
    Big focus on making CC better
    Big focus on making the game more accessible: Cheaper, easier rules, etc.
    1500 pt games designed to take 90 minutes
    3 ways to play: Open, Narrative, Matched
    Narrative play will use "Power levels" for each unit. Balance a game around the power levels
    Matched play will have a point system very similar to the current game
    Open play is basically do what you want
    Warhammer 40k app like AoS app
    Main rules will be like generals handbook for AoS, updated annually with community feedback
    Top 3 design choice: Game that worked for all 3 ways to play (story, narrative, competitive). Make the game more accessible: cheaper, rules, painting, gaming, etc. Get back to Imperial vs Chaos; Make Chaos great again!
    Hopefully more balanced than previous editions. Tons of playtesting went into this new edition.
    Command Points:
        Designed to make thematic armies better
        Armies must be battle forged w/ force org chart
        Multiple force org charts; 14 at launch. Harder to fill charts give more points
        Give rerolls, can interrupt charges, etc
        Gone when used
        Can only use 1 per phase
        Designed to modify tactical situations
        Basic ones in main rulebook with faction specific ones in codexes
    All new rules will be out day 1 with 5 new books: Main rules, Xenos, Imperial Chaos, one other
    New codexes will have fluff and art as well as rules to make your faction a little more specific (Chapter tactics, command point uses, force org charts)
    Should be less expensive than current codexes. Main rules and unit rules will be free with future units getting warscroll style releases between updates.
    Major story progression over the next few years but not going to remove what's come before. IE not AoSing the setting
    If you feel you recently bought a rulebook and feel you got ripped off they're extending their return policy to 8 weeks from the announcement (last Saturday). If you have proof of purchase they'll give you a voucher for the value if you contact their CS.

--- End quote ---

For me, everything looks too AOSed for my tastes.  If I wanted to play AOS, I would be, and having 40k not that different to Fantasy is not a step forward in my opinion.  I liked that they were two different games with different mechanics and different ideas on how things worked built in separate directions.  A player could decide they liked one and not the other instead of playing what sounds like the same game with different skins.  There's a lot I don't like, like Lasguns wounding Land Raiders, but I recognize that is because I see a Land Raider as a 4 'wound' model and sixes happen, so I'm not seeing the big picture of what else is changing along with these basic ideas to balance it.  I'm expecting massive changes in the balance, but my little brain can't wrap around it. 

And as always, I'm worried about my specific armies.  Nids and Genestealer Cult look like they'll get hurt by this.  If Acolytes and Genestealers both strike first on the charge, why would I ever take a 17pt Genestealer with four Rending attacks on the charge when the 8pt Acolyte Hybrid does the same damage and the same attacks and the same attack step on the charge.  And the Carnifex losing BS after getting shot...  It already is nearly blind compared to the rest of the Nid army.  Or worse, a Tyrannofex, rolling 5s to hit with a S10 weapon...  But again, I'm no game designer and stuck in my old thinking, not new thinking.

What's raising flags or making you excited to see?

Draco765:
Origin of the info for checking:

https://www.facebook.com/theindependentcharacters/posts/1683059825039344:0

Sensenbob:
Removing both Templates and Vehicle type would remove a lot of the "careful placement" aspect of the game. The "everything can hurt everyone" thingy also worries me, since it just isn't very believable in 40k. (Damn, i'll have to remake the special HP-counter on my Knights base:( )

On the other hand, we'll have to wait and see how it plays in order to make an informed verdict, so no panic. I can't even imagine how assaults will play out now.

I'm really most excited about the new format of the rules and armies which i hope will firstly make a quite balanced new baseline for the game since all get released at the same time and also adapt to balancing issues or OP stuff quicker since the rules are not bound to a codex released some years ago but rather available freely in digital form.

Draco765:
A local player is working to max out his Astra Militarum Lasgun only army since it can destroy everything.

DeffBossGitKrusha:

--- Quote from: SharkoutofWata on April 24, 2017, 06:29:20 PM ---Pulled this directly from Reddit and have done zero fact checking of my own because I'm more of a 'I hate everything until I see it in action myself' kind of person.  However, it is worth discussing and I'm curious what others think about what has been revealed.

For me, everything looks too AOSed for my tastes.  If I wanted to play AOS, I would be, and having 40k not that different to Fantasy is not a step forward in my opinion.  I liked that they were two different games with different mechanics and different ideas on how things worked built in separate directions.  A player could decide they liked one and not the other instead of playing what sounds like the same game with different skins.  There's a lot I don't like, like Lasguns wounding Land Raiders, but I recognize that is because I see a Land Raider as a 4 'wound' model and sixes happen, so I'm not seeing the big picture of what else is changing along with these basic ideas to balance it.  I'm expecting massive changes in the balance, but my little brain can't wrap around it. 

And as always, I'm worried about my specific armies.  Nids and Genestealer Cult look like they'll get hurt by this.  If Acolytes and Genestealers both strike first on the charge, why would I ever take a 17pt Genestealer with four Rending attacks on the charge when the 8pt Acolyte Hybrid does the same damage and the same attacks and the same attack step on the charge.  And the Carnifex losing BS after getting shot...  It already is nearly blind compared to the rest of the Nid army.  Or worse, a Tyrannofex, rolling 5s to hit with a S10 weapon...  But again, I'm no game designer and stuck in my old thinking, not new thinking.

What's raising flags or making you excited to see?

--- End quote ---

I've read these same kinds of concerns, I think we just have to wait to see how it shakes out. I doubt a Land Raider will have less than 10 wounds, and maybe even more than that. In the live stream they say stats are not caped at 10 any more. We also don't know if there is a game mechanic or ability to regenerate wounds.
For me, I think small arms fire may finish off a nearly dead vehicle as being the most likely thing to happen.  But as an Ork player ...I have nowhere to go but up.

As far as the unit choices, I don't really know yet but I'd expect some kind of recosting to happen and of course rules that reflect those units more. (They should be different enough to make it a choice between the two.(Should)) That's been my experience with AoS anyway, everything is an option. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm thinking close combat is going to be back in a big way in 8th.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version