Author Topic: Glaze leaves shiny "water stain"  (Read 762 times)

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
Glaze leaves shiny "water stain"
« on: June 21, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
So i'm working on my Knight and as a final step of painting green armour plates, i'm doing a Glaze with Citadel - Waywatcher Green.
After it dries, the color itself is fine and it's not glossy but if you hold it against the light there is some kind of film on top producing a water-stain-like mirroring effect which isnt there before i use the glaze.
The same thing happens with shades colors like Aggrax Earthshade, but i don't mind so much there since other layers will be covering that.

What am i doing wrong?
Too much paint/too wet?
Not enough pot-shaking?
I used the Glaze undiluted.
=Blood Angels=

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Glaze leaves shiny "water stain"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:31:20 AM »
As far as I know, that's the desired effect of a glaze. At least that's why I use it over a wash in certain applications. For a wash you are using too much of it in one spot. But a glaze is for a more 'living' surface like plasma coils or lenses or that type of thing. That is just my personal experience but I'm a pretty basic painter.

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
Re: Glaze leaves shiny "water stain"
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 03:32:50 AM »
Hmm it's pretty hard to describe the effect but it really doesn't look like it should be like this.
It's patchy and unevenly shiny but only if you hold it against the light.
Without reflection, the color looks really fine, so there's no "pooling" like with Shades.

I guess i'll try the wash-thing and use a really thin, almost dry coat. Maybe even thinning the glaze with more water.
Thanks anyway! ;)
=Blood Angels=