Author Topic: Doom of Malan'tai in 6th  (Read 3172 times)

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
  • The Wonders of Warhammer 40k
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
Doom of Malan'tai in 6th
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »
OK guy's, how are you using the Pyschic side of Doomy?

Keeping to his own power?
Swapping on the Telepathy table for the Primaris power?
Swapping on Boimancy in hope of Iron Arm?
Or something else?

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Doom of Malan'tai in 6th
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
i am hoping for biomancy goodness so he doesn't get instagibbed by a str 8 weapon. the real beauty of Doom is he only ever has to work once get in someone's head and they seem to forget the mission and the rest of my army in an attempt to burn him down.
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
No doubt I'm a big fan of doom, and he is in every game I play...

I just go with the stock power since you can count on that, drop him in a pod and watch all the infantry on the table start to test. True he can get instant killed as you will fail that 3+ invul, but I try to have other elements also landing with him- carnifexes in pods so my opponent has to deal with that at the same time.

I think what is coming in with and working with doom is more important then the powers.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »
i definitely need to get better with Nid pod assault.  right now i let my affinity for some of the models get in the way of building good lists. I love hormagaunts and trygons!
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »
I run one bone stock.  He is so good as is I hate to risk the dice gods making him worse by rolling for powers.  Use another Nid psyker for that.  We have plenty.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Offline UnitedWarGamers

• Battle Brother
  • Space Marines, Tyranids, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:07:18 AM »
I would run with the Telepathy table Primaris power so I can make them take a double LD test and keep sucking up more souls or whatever.

Offline Chuckmarsh

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
I would run with the Telepathy table Primaris power so I can make them take a double LD test and keep sucking up more souls or whatever.

Totally agreed.

I gave Doom the Psychic Shriek Primaris Power from Telepathy for another 3D6 leadership test that follows Spirit Leech. I feel Doom should be assaulting by S10 anyway. 

Offline TeethandTalons40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »
Iron arm would be nasty on the Doom, being internal warrior and have a high toughness Ashley as sooooo many wounds would just make it unstoppable and the ultimate fire magnet

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back, I am still a fan of the stock power myself, but tbh I find Doomy is more about what my opponent thinks he is going to do, more than what he actually does. I always love the groans I hear when I declare he is in reserve =)

Offline Powder413

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
The other thing about the Primaris from Telepathy is that it also ignores cover.  Doom's soul sucking does not, and with the rise of the ubiquitous Aegis Line I have found it to make a significant difference.  I have stopped trying for the Iron Arm roll because its just too long of odds, plus you cant cast it on the turn you show up as it needs to be cast at the start of the movement phase, and since your moving to pod in, you cant cast it.  Any good player will target Doom its first turn, so it just seems inefficient.

On a side note, played against 3 Zoanthropes/pod and Doom the other night all with Psychic Shriek and it was fairly devastating.

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 02:32:08 AM »
That reminds me that I haven't played Zoanthropes for such a long time, can't have them feeling lonely in my case. The next game I have, they are in the list :)

Nick